Valom Takes on Twins: Hampden and Brigand Take Flight in 1/144 Scale
Czech kit manufacturer Valom has hit the tarmac with two new releases for the discerning 1/144 scale modeler: the Handley Page Hampden B.Mk.I and the Bristol Brigand B Mk.I. These lesser-known but historically significant aircraft offer a fresh take for enthusiasts seeking something beyond the usual Spitfires and Messerschmitts.
Hampden: Early Bird Gets the Bomb:
- The Hampden, a British medium bomber of the early WWII era, arrives in its B.Mk.I variant. Expect a detailed rendition of its distinctive “slab-sided” fuselage, complete with intricate glazing and recessed panel lines.
- While not the most glamorous aircraft, the Hampden played a crucial role in early bombing campaigns, its bomb bay offering a glimpse into the tactical considerations of the pre-Lancastrian era.
- Modelers can choose from multiple marking options, representing various squadrons and operational theaters.
Brigand: Postwar Workhorse:
- Joining the Hampden is the Bristol Brigand, a versatile transport aircraft that saw service with the Royal Air Force in the postwar years.
- Its unique twin-boom configuration and dorsal gun turret present a distinctive challenge for experienced builders, while offering a visually striking addition to any collection.
- Valom’s kit promises accurate dimensions and surface details, capturing the Brigand’s rugged utility and postwar flair.
Beyond the Box:
- It’s worth noting that Valom caters to the “detail-hungry” crowd, with separate releases for resin and photo-etched upgrade sets for both aircraft. These offer opportunities for experienced modelers to take their builds to the next level.
Niche Appeal, Big Potential:
While not everyone’s first choice, Valom’s Hampden and Brigand offer a breath of fresh air for those seeking something beyond the mainstream. Their historical significance and unique shapes add depth to any collection, while the 1/144 scale presents a space-saving alternative for apartment-dwelling enthusiasts.