Xtradecal Releases New 1/48 Scale Allied Desert War Decal Set
Xtradecal has released a new 1/48 scale decal set that covers six Allied fighter types in the Desert Air War of World War II. The set includes markings for two Spitfire Mk. Vbs, a Tomahawk, a Hurricane Mk.Ib, a P-40F Warhawk, and a North American P-51A.
The decal set includes markings for two Spitfire Mk. Vbs, a Tomahawk, a Hurricane Mk.Ib, a P-40F Warhawk, and a North American P-51A. A variety of interesting colors and markings are included, making this a versatile set that can be used to create a variety of different aircraft.
I like these multi-aircraft-themed releases because they offer good value. With this set, you are likely to use more than one set of markings, which means that you are getting more bang for your buck.
The details of the aircraft included in the set are as follows:
- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop, ES276, “WD*D”, flown by Lt. Sylvan Feld of the 4th Fighter Squadron, 52nd Fighter Group, USAAF, based at La Sebala, Tunisia, June 1943.
- Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.IIb, AM406, “DX.O” of the 4 Squadron, South African Air Force, based at Lille-Seclin, North Africa, May 1942.
- Supermarine Spitfire Mk.Vb Trop, ER758, “S”, “Hero”, of the 336 (Greek) Squadron, based at Benghazi, Libya, February 1944.
- Hawker Hurricane Mk.Ib, W9291 “M” of the 30 Squadron RAF, Edku, North Africa, August 1941.
- Curtiss P-40F, “12”, “Jo” of the 57th Fighter Group, originally aboard the USS Ranger, circa July 1943.
- North American P-51A, serial unknown, “WU.B” of the 225 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based in Algeria, May 1943.
The instructions for the decal sheet are provided in full color on a folded double-sided A4 sheet and an A5 sheet. Both side views and upper and lower views are provided for all six aircraft. Color notes are also provided, along with model paint callouts for Xtracolor enamels and Xtracrylix acrylics.
The decals are perfectly printed and feature thin carrier film. This makes them easy to apply and results in a professional finish.
This themed release will offer welcome variety for anyone building 1/48 scale Allied Desert War fighter aircraft. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in this subject.